28 December, 2023

Farewell 2023

This time of year I begin to think a lot about summer. Poetry is not on my mind except for a brief puff of a thought that maybe I should write a poem before 2023 ends.

If being a poet is a job, then that makes sense. 

Poetry to me isn't work. I may struggle with words, but not the core of what they mean to me. 

I began writing poetry in grade school. It was in 7th grade, my English teacher gave me A on both poems I turned in. I realized then that I can write poetry. His face glowed to me that I have talent. Most will run with that inspiration. I however, run away and hide when I'm told I do something well. Being noticed opens me up to ridicule, that getting in trouble fear we all felt as a kid. Thankfully, I aged with a fairly good meh attitude against negative criticism.

I decided in 2024 I will change my lifestyle. That means writing poetry regularly, cataloguing my poems, and finally, putting together a couple of books of poetry.

Have a good New Year 2024

~~~~~~~~~~~

Blue Sky Daydream

If I think of this longer,
then I can make it different.
I will edit like wind against 
the trees, water over stones,
the length of the grasses 
nibble by prairie dogs.
There are mountains waiting
for me to see them.
I will walk there on a daydream,
filled with blue sky.

M.Flannery
December 2023

No comments: